God of War is a fantastic game but it is not without its issues. A common issue with this games seems to be performance. Many players are reporting that the performance of the God of War PC version is not what was promised. The game you hoped to have an enjoyable time playing is instead, a load of crashing, lag, low FPS and error messages.
The downside to this is that because the game is so good and so exciting; you desperately want the game to work right and be playable without your computer going into meltdown because of God Of War’s CPU and/or GPU intensive requirements.
However, though the game features some bugs here and there, there are several things you can do to smooth out performance, fix game crashes and get rid of various issues which might be annoying you.
In order to help you fix this i ssue I have created a new video tutorial which shows that it is indeed possible to get de-bloated, frame rate optimised and crash-free gameplay with God Of War on your PC.
How To Fix Crashing, Lag, and Performance Issues in God of War PC version
God Of War is a fun game but if you find your game essential crashing, you may want to consider read this article.
No matter how good your rig is, having God of War crashing on PC puts a damper on everything. It’s just not fun to have a game crash just because you went in to fight a bunch of enemies, or finished a major dialogue.
There are some fixes out there to prevent this issue, and many of them involve changing the settings. But it’s easier just to play the game with these tips, which will keep your game running smoothly and without any distractions whatsoever.
These are the tips that worked for me: Make sure that you have enough RAM, graphics memory and processor power. Make sure that you have proper ventilation (the CPU, graphic card, motherboard and some other parts can become very hot).
But, don’t worry, we are here to help. We will show you all the fixes and tweaks we used to bring our God Of War game back up to high framerates, and we hope they work for you too!
What to do when God of War PC won’t running smoothly
It is time to fix God Of War PC Crashing, Performance, and Lag Issues (Low FPS) in order to play smoothly.
It’s the biggest game launch of 2018 – and it’s even better on PC. Here is everything you need to know to get this epic adventure up and running smoothly: what you need, where to download it, how to fix the problems. Here are some methods.
Solution 1: Make sure your PC meets the minimum system requirements
The gaming experience of a lifetime is at the tip of your fingers, yet it can’t begin because you have an outdated PC. The chance to embark on a road trip across the lands of ancient Greece is just beyond your grasp and will remain so if you don’t update your PC.
Having to play God of War on a low setting? You can’t enjoy a mind-blowing cinematic experience when the action is blurred and slowed down. Raise the quality of your gaming experience with a better setup.
Don’t let the game hold you back! Check out if your PC meets the minimum system requirements for God of War – and what to do if it doesn’t.
If your PC meets these requirements and you are still facing the issue, it’s time to try out the next solution.
Solution 2: Make sure you have the latest video card drivers ( Update Graphics Card Driver)
Lag and crashes can be a part of any PC gaming experience, but they aren’t supposed to happen quite as often as they do. When your gameplay is interrupted by frequent loading screens, graphical errors, and other distracting issues, it’s hard to keep your head in the game.
But that’s not the worst part. The worst part is when you have to troubleshoot the DirectX error. You read the Microsoft guide on how to fix it, but it just keeps coming back.
Don’t you wish there was a way around this?
Upgrading or Updating to the latest video card drivers will give you a boost in performance. Get a better view of everything that’s going on.
For their most recent games, such as Far Cry 6 and God of War, both NVIDIA and AMD have released optimized drivers. In case you are experiencing DirectX errors, installing the latest drivers is certainly the solution.
Everything will be working smooth after the update drivers and there will be no issues playing your games.
This will ensure that your games run perfectly and that you have enough frames per second to have the best gaming experience.
If that does not work, you can try adjusting your NVIDIA Control Panel settings. You can benefit enormously from this in certain situations and receive a major boost in FPS.
NVIDIA’s drivers are available from their official website. To get the latest AMD GPU drivers, please download the Radeon Auto Detect Software.
Solution 3: Run God of War as an Administrator
You think you’re the boss of your PC. But, your PC is still the boss of you. You’ve experienced the dreaded flickering screen or error message. It’s frustrating when something goes wrong.
Benefit: Run God of War as an Administrator, take back control and solve your God of War problems. Take command and play God of War like a pro.
Therefore, you will learn how to run God of War as an Administrator on Windows in this step.
- Right click God of War in your Steam Library and Go to Properties then the Local Files tab.
- Click Browse Local Files and Locate the game executable (the application).
- Right click it and go to Properties and Click the Compatibility tab.
- Check the Run this program as an administrator box and hit Apply.
Solution 4: Verify Integrity of Game Files on Steam
For gamers, steam is the best place to download and play different games. But sometimes, the game files are corrupted due to any reasons like server problems, unknown errors or any other external reasons. That’s where steam verification feature comes in handy.
Yes, Steam will verify the integrity of game files on Steam and if there are issues.
Ensure Integrity of God of War Files on Steam. The first step to ensure that your installation is working as intended is to verify the integrity of your game files. This allows Steam to ensure that all in-game textures have been downloaded properly and there are no missing files.
Below you will find the steps to verify integrity of game files. If you need any assistance with this process, please contact Steam Support.
- Launch Steam and From the ‘Library‘ section, right-click on the game and select ‘Properties‘ from the menu.
- Select the ‘Local Files‘ tab and click the ‘Verify Integrity of Game Files‘ button.
- It may take several minutes for Steam to verify the game’s files. Regardless of whether you recently verified, a variety of files will be downloaded.
- Click on the “Launch Game” button when the download has completed.
Launch the game once again and make sure everything is working as it should be. If it isn’t, proceed to the next solution.
Solution 5: Turn off any unnecessary programs running in the background
You’re playing God of War and Kratos has been stuck for minutes. But you don’t know why the game keep crashing.
You want to play a game and there are so many things running in the background that your computer is barely usable. Turn off any unnecessary programs running in the background for God of War PC.
The RAM of your computer can sometimes be filled with background apps. Your game will likely crash since it cannot allocate enough memory. Here are the steps to close background apps:
- To open the Task Manager, press the key combination of Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Then, click on the Processes tab, and then click on those tasks that are running in the background and consuming all of your system resources.
- After closing each task, click the End Task button.
- Restart the system after you’re done.
Solution 6: Update God of War
To fix God of War performance issues, you have to update your game. The following steps will help you check for updates and install the latest patch (if available) if you haven’t updated your game. Here’s how:
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library
- From the left panel, click on God of War. The game will search for the latest update automatically. Click Update when it is available.
- You may have to wait for some time for the update to install. After the update has been installed, close the Steam client.
- Try launching the game again after rebooting your computer to apply the changes
Solution 7: Run the Game in DirectX 11 Mode
This issue has been reported to be fixed for some players by running the game in DirectX 11 mode. If it solves the problem, then it’s worth it. To do so, you need to:
- Click God of War on your Steam library and choose Properties.
- By adding -dx11 to the LAUNCH OPTIONS, you will force the game to launch with DirectX 11.
- Exit the game now.
Solution 8: Try Disabling Overlay Apps
Your game may crash if you have apps overlaying it. You can disable any of these apps by following these steps:
Disable Discord Overlay:
- You will find the gear icon at the bottom of the Discord app.
- To enable the in-game overlay, click Overlay in App Settings and select Turn On.
- Choose God of War from the Games tab.
- Next, toggle off Enable in-game overlay.
- Reboot your PC after making changes.
Disable Nvidia GeForce Experience Overlay:
- Navigate to Settings in the Nvidia GeForce Experience app.
- Disable the In-Game Overlay by clicking the General tab.
- Restart your PC after you’ve applied the changes, and launch the game again.
Disable Xbox Game Bar:
- Open Windows Settings by pressing Windows + I.
- To turn off recording of game clips, screenshots, and broadcasts, click on Gaming > Game Bar > Switch off Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcasts using Game bar.
If you have tried everything I have listed above and still can’t fix the God of War crashing issues on PC, then you should probably contact the customer service of your graphics card or GPU maker. Alternatively, you can also try some old methods like rolling back the video game’s graphics quality settings to a lower option, run the game in low-resolution mode, etc.
In summation, God Of War PC is a beautiful game when it works. We hope these fixes improve your performance and fix your crashing issues. If you have any problems or questions, please do leave us a comment and we’ll try to help.